Reusing and refilling plastics can be an easy way for us to reduce the amount of plastic we use and lower our impact on the environment.
This World Refill Day (16 June) we explore what’s being done to make reuse and refill options more widely available, and outline how we can make the most of refillable and reusable plastics.
Plus we’re running an exciting competition that you can enter to win a Herbal Essences and Pantene hair shampoo refill pack! Head over to our Clear On Plastics Instagram page to take part (T&Cs apply).
Clear On Plastics is delighted to join many other organisations in welcoming World Refill Day on 16 June 2021. The campaign, run by City to Sea, is a global public awareness campaign to champion reuse over single-use and prevent plastic pollution.
The great news is that reuse and refill options are becoming increasingly more available to us. In the past few years, options for everyday items such as face creams and cleaning products have become widely available, and it has become easier to buy loose products and use refill options in stores.
Through initiatives such as The UK Plastics Pact, we are building on this momentum and looking into how refill can be of benefit both people and businesses, for instance by working on in-store refill trials with major retailers.
There are a number of initiatives which can make it easier for us to refill and reuse as much as possible, such as City to Sea’s Refill app, which allows you to find places in your local area to top up on the go.
Clear on Plastics’ top tips to make reuse and refill part of your everyday routine:
- Choose reusable options. There are lots of options out there, such as reusable soft drinks bottles, hot drinks cups, containers, and cutlery/straws. Be sure to use these as many times as possible – remember, the most sustainable option is the one you already have!
- Many cafes and stores offer refill schemes, often with benefits for doing so, check out your local stores to find out what’s on offer.
- Make the most of initiatives like the Refill app which make it easier to find places where you can top up on the go.
- Have refillable bottles and containers etc. in a bag or rucksack ready for when you need them (some options collapse making it less bulky to carry about).
- Add reusable items to your check list when you leave the house – think keys, wallet, refillables!